Crosscanonby Parish, 1848
CANNONBY, CROSS (St. John), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the town of Maryport, and the townships of Birkby, CrossCannonby, and Crossby; the whole containing 5,731 inhabitants, of whom 59 are in the township of CrossCannonby, 2½ miles (N.E. by E.) from Maryport. This parish, which is situated on the shore of the Solway Firth, and bounded on the south by the river Ellen, comprises by computation 2,415 acres. It contains coal and freestone; and in a quarry of the latter, some implements supposed to be Roman were found a few years ago, from which it is thought that the stone used in erecting the Roman station at Ellenborough was obtained here. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, the appropriators; with a net income of £150. The church is of early Norman architecture. There is a chapel at Maryport.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.