Coxhoe and East Hetton, 1890
COXHOE with the hamlet of East HETTON form a township in the civil parish of Kelloe, and constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1868, from the parishes of Bishop Middleham and Kelloe: it is in the Mid division of the county, the south division of Easington ward, union, county court district and petty sessional division of Durham, rural deanery of South Easington, and archdeaconry and diocese of Durham: the village of Coxhoe, situated 5 miles southeast from Durham, on the high road from the latter place to Sedgefield, is nearly 1 mile in length, and contains some good inns and shops: the houses on the western side of the street or village are in Cornforth parish. The Ferry Hill and Hartlepool branch of the North Eastern railway has a station at Coxhoe Bridge, half a mile from the village. The church of St. Mary, consecrated in 1868, is a building of stone, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and has one bell: there are 550 sittings. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Durham alternately, and held since 1867 by the Rev. David Fleming B.A. of Glasgow University, F.R.A.S. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, a building of red brick, with white brick dressings, erected in 1871, at a cost of £1,000, and seating 500 persons, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1865, seating 400 persons. There is a reading room well supplied with the local &c. papers. In the neighbourhood are extensive collieries, coke ovens and stone quarries, which give employment to the inhabitants; there are also lime works, and brown pottery ware and pipe making is carried on Coxhoe Hall, the property of Thomas Wood esq. D.L., J.P. of Barrowhedges, Carshalton, Surrey, and the residence of William Henry Wood esq. is a handsome mansion, erected by J. Burdon esq. in 1725, and occupies an elevated position, approached by a fine avenue of trees, half a mile east from the village. Thomas Wood esq. D.L., J.P. and the trustees of the late Mrs. Jones are the principal landowners. The soil is loam and clay; the subsoil, limestone. The area of Coxhoe is 1,104 acres; rateable value, £4,115; the population of the township in 1881 was 2,454.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; Charles E. Barnes, Sadler street, Durham, clerk to the board.
Board, East Hetton (mixed & infants), erected in 1887, for 220 boys & girls &; 90 infants; average attendance, 204 mixed & 88 infants.
Board, Quarrington Hill, built in 1889, for 60 infants; average attendance, 60.
National, built in 1871, for 290 children; average attendance, 235.
Primitive Methodist, built in 1870, for 140 children; average attendance, 99.
Extract from: Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1890