Butsfield Township, 1848
BUTSFIELD, a township, in the parish and union of Lanchester, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 11 miles (W. by N.) from Durham; containing 252 inhabitants. Two Roman aqueducts, for supplying the station at Lanchester, may be traced in the neighbourhood, particularly in the grounds belonging to Thomas White, Esq., who, on the inclosure of the common lands in 1773, purchased a part which was sold to defray the expense incurred in carrying the act of parliament into effect, and out of a barren waste succeeded in raising, in the course of a few years, the thriving and well-planted estate of Woodlands. Mr. White also built a good mansion-house, laid out pleasure-grounds and gardens, and made the neglected waters of the aqueducts supply his fishponds and reservoirs.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.