East Broughton, 1848
BROUGHTON, EAST, a chapelry, in the parish of Cartmel, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Cartmel; containing 458 inhabitants. The families of Marshall and Machell had long a seat here: the Thornboroughs were also a long time resident, and subsequently to 1621 held one of two manors, which afterwards descended to the Rawlinsons. The township having often been confounded with Broughton in Furness, the names of East Broughton and Broughton-in-Cartmel have been adopted. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £67; patron, the Earl of Burlington. The chapel, which was consecrated in 1745, is dedicated to St. Peter. A national school for girls was commenced in the year 1830.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.