Broom Township, 1848
BROOM, a township, in the parish of St. Oswald, union of Durham, Middle division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 2¼ miles (W.) from Durham; containing 108 inhabitants. This is a small village of scattered tenements, in the vicinity of which stands Broom Hall, on nearly the highest ground between the Browney and the Deerness. The tithes have been commuted for £106, payable to the vicar of the parish, and 9s. 6d. to the Dean and Chapter of Durham.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.