Brierton Township, 1848
BRIERTON, a township, in the parish of Stranton, union of Stockton-upon-Tees, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8¼ miles (E.N.E.) from Stockton; containing 27 inhabitants. The manor belonged from the earliest date of the records to the family of Graystock. It afterwards passed to the Dacres; and Lord William Howard, who married Elizabeth, younger sister and coheiress of George, Lord Dacre, seems to have had the Durham estates on partition with his brother, the Earl of Arundel, husband of Anne, the elder sister. The place was subsequently the property of the Blacketts.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.