BRADBURY, a township, in the parish and union of Sedgefield, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2½ miles (E.) from Rushyford, and 10½ (S. by E.) from Durham; containing 167 inhabitants. Mr. Cade, the antiquary, considered the name of this place to be a corruption of Brimesbury, where King Athelstan encamped in 937, when he gained a decisive victory over the Danes; but it is more probable that the battle was fought at Bramby, in Lincolnshire. The township is bounded on the south-east by the river Skerne, which separates it from the parish of Great Aycliffe; and comprises 2,043 acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture: the surface is rather level, pretty well wooded, and presents almost every variety of soil. £3,000 have recently been expended in effectually draining the marshes, which promise to become good grazing-land. The York and Newcastle railway runs through the township for two miles. Here was a chapel of ease dedicated to St. Nicholas, of which there are no vestiges; the curate's house is still standing. The tithes have been commuted for £233; and there is a glebe of 63 acres.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.