BOWESDEN, a hamlet, in the parish of Lowick, union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (N.) from Wooler. The ancient family of Carr sold their paternal estate here to the late Sir Francis Blake, Bart. The village is long and scattered. A sepulchral urn was turned up by the plough, several years since, at Bowesden-Hollins; and in the year 1800, some workmen, in levelling a barrow in the neighbourhood, discovered two inverted urns, containing calcined human bones.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.