Bournmoor Township, 1848
BOURN-MOOR, a township, in the parish of Houghton-le-Spring, union of Chester-le-Street, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham; containing 891 inhabitants. This township, which is bounded by Bidick on the north, was separated from that district about eighty years since, probably on account of the population attached to the collieries: the name appears to have been derived from the stream called Moors-burn, which falls into the river Wear in Lumley Park. It comprises 500 acres, of which 375 are arable, 100 grass land, and 25 waste. At New Lambton, in the township, is a brine well 97 fathoms deep, where salt-works were established in 1815. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.