Birbeck Fells Township, 1848
BIRBECK-FELLS, a township, partly in the parish of Orton, East ward and union, and partly in the parish of Crosby-Ravensworth, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (W.S.W.) from Orton; containing 200 inhabitants, and comprising 1,250 acres, of which 770 are common or waste. The Birbeck embankment, on the line of the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, contains 200,000 cubic yards of earthwork, and the viaduct here is 45 feet in height, the arches being similar to those of Borrow viaduct. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £18. 9. A free school at Greenholme, for the education of the children of Birbeck-Fells, Bretherdale, Rounthwaite, and Low Scales, is endowed with land producing about £40 per annum, purchased with a bequest of £400 by George Gibson, in 1733.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.