Extract from: Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1890
Backworth is a township and colliery village 1 mile west, with a station on the Newcastle and Morpeth section of the North Eastern railway. Backworth House, situated in a park, is the seat of John Jameson esq. The Duke of Northumberland K.G., P.C. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 1,537 acres; rateable value, £11,450; the population in 1891 was 2,240.