Topics > Northumberland > Allenheads > Allenheads, 1848

Allenheads, 1848

ALLENHEADS, a hamlet (formerly a distinct parish) in the parish of Allendale, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 17 miles (S.S.W.) from Hexham. The chapel here was built by Col. Beaumont, in 1826, on the site of one erected in 1701 by Sir William Blackett, for the religious duties of the miners, who at that time attended prayers every morning at six o'clock; it is now considered a domestic chapel, and near it is a good house for the minister, occupied by the incumbent of St. Peter's, described in the preceding article, who officiates in both chapels. There are several veins of lead-ore in the neighbourhood, which are worked to a considerable extent.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Allenheads Allendale Parish, 1848


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.