Above Derwent War Memorial
The War Memorial for Above Derwent is located on a small triangular green on the north side of the old A66 road, between Braithwaite and Portinscale. The memorial is a Celtic cross, which was unveiled on the 7th of August, 1921 and dedicated by the Reverend G. K. Carpenter. The memorial commemorates 18 local servicemen and 1 woman (Sarah Barnes) who lost their lives in the First World War. Following the Second World War the names of a further 13 men were added and the memorial was re-dedicated on the 8th of August 1948, again by the Reverend G. K. Carpenter. The memorial is Grade II listed. It was added to the National Heritage List for England on the 11th of June, 2018, during the Centenery of the First World War.