In Northern England:
A new dock at the Smith's Dock complex in North Shields was opened by James Thomas the First Lord of the Admiralty in 1954. It was 216.1m long, 28.9m wide and 8.2m deep, making it the largest dock on the site. The dock was built to cater with the increasing size of oil tankers, which were the stock trade of the yard at that time. The dock had a pumping station and the world's largest single flap metal gate at the time it was built.