Whessoe Township, 1848
WHESSOE, a township, in the parish of Haughton-le-Skerne, union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2½ miles (N. by W.) from Darlington; containing 118 inhabitants. It comprises 1,402 acres, of which 888 are arable, 477 grass-land, 7 wood, and 30 in roads and waste; the soil is a strong clay. The Stockton and Darlington, and the York and Newcastle, railways, pass through the township. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £43. 11.6. Charles Colling, Esq., who contributed much to the improvement of short-horned cattle, resided at Ketton House here.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.