Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WALWICK, a liberty, locally in the parish of Warden, union of Hexham, N.W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5¼ miles (N.W. by N.) from Hexham. This place, which is situated on the western bank of the North Tyne, and on the line of Severus' Wall, was the Cilurnum of the Romans, and the station of the Ala Secunda Asturum. Its extent may still be traced, being, from east to west, 570 feet, and from north to south 400. Among the numerous relics that have been discovered are a spacious vault, a mutilated statue of Europa neatly sculptured in freestone, and a curious tablet commemorative of the rebuilding of some edifice by the second wing of the Astures. In the district are two good mansions, Walwick Hall and Walwick Chesters. Walwick Grange, formerly the seat of the Errington family, built out of an old tower, has been converted into a farmhouse. In Homer's-lane are fragments of an ancient cross.