Topics > Cumbria > St John's in the Vale > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Waberthwaite Civil Parish > Waberthwaite Parish, 1848
Waberthwaite Parish, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WABERTHWAITE (St. John), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1½ mile (E.S.E.) from Ravenglass; containing 146 inhabitants. This parish forms an inclined plane from the mountains to the river Esk on the north-west. It comprises 2,001 acres, of which about 1,000 are common or waste; the soil of the cultivated lands is generally a strong clay, well adapted for wheat, but there are some small portions of lighter quality. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 11. 8.; income, £131; patron, Lord Muncaster. The glebe consists of 12 acres.
Add a comment or share a memory.