Tranwell with High Church, Township, 1848
TRANWELL, with High Church, a township, in the parish and union of Morpeth, W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2 miles (S.S.W.) from Morpeth; containing 55 inhabitants. This place formed part of the barony of Merlay, and was a member of the manor of Morpeth. Among its various proprietors have been the families of Somerville, Thornton, Mitford, and Greystock, from which last the property has descended to the Earl of Carlisle, its present owner. The township comprises about 1,064 acres, of which 646 are arable, 254 meadow and pasture, and the remainder woodland and plantations; the soil in the northern part is a rich loam, producing favourable crops, and in the south a stiff barren clay. The parish church and rectory-house are both situated in the township. The tithes have been commuted for £147.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.