Topics > Northumberland > Thornton > Thornton Township (Norham), 1848
Thornton Township (Norham), 1848
THORNTON, a township, in the parish of Norham, union of Berwick-upon-Tweed, N. division of Northumberland, 5¼ miles (S.W.) from Berwick; containing 178 inhabitants. This place was the manor and residence of a family named Heron. It is situated on the borders of Scotland, and on the south side of the road from Berwick to Cornhill. The township comprises 1,398 acres, of which 1,250 are arable, 140 pasture, and 8 wood; the surface is elevated table-land, the soil loamy, and there are fine views of the Cheviot hills and of Scotland. In the township are three farms and a colliery belonging to Lord Crewe's trustees; and good freestone is wrought. A school has been endowed by the trustees with £20 per annum, and the master has a house, and grass for a cow.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.