Stella Township, 1848
STELLA, a township, in the parish of Ryton, union of Gateshead, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 563 inhabitants. This place, anciently Stellinglei, was granted in the 12th century by Bishop William de St. Barbara to the nuns of Newcastle, in whose possession it remained till the Dissolution. It subsequently became the property of the Tempest family, who erected the magnificent mansion of Stella Hall, near the river Tyne; and afterwards belonged to Lord Widdrington, on whose joining in the rebellion of 1715, it was forfeited to the crown. The estate is now the property of Peregrine Edward Towneley, Esq. The township is bounded on the north by the river; it comprises 281 acres, and abounds with coal, of which a pit is worked, for household use. Stella Hall, the property of Mr. Towneley, is beautifully situated, and has lately, with the park and grounds attached to it, been much improved. The village is on the bank of the river, which is here navigable for keels: there is a manufactory for coal-wagons, railway-trucks, and similar carriages; and fire-bricks are made in the neighbourhood. The tithes have been commuted for £27. 3. 8. A church district named St. Cuthbert's was endowed in 1845 by the Ecclesiastical Commission; it comprises the township of Stella, and part of the parish of Winlaton, in which latter the church is situated: see Blaydon. A Roman Catholic chapel was erected in 1831, with apartments for the residence of the priest, who has a stipend of £20 charged upon the estate, to which Mr. Towneley adds £30 per annum.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.