Spital Hill, Mitford
Spital Hill (aka Spittal Hill) is part of the village of Mitford in Northumberland, located on the east banks of the River Font, opposite the main village, which is west of the river. Historically, Spittal Hill was a separate settlement and had been a township in the ancient parish of Mitford. There is archaeological evidence of two Later Prehistoric settlements on Spital Hill. St Leonard's Hospital, caring for the poor, the old and the sick, was located here from the 12th century up to the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1537. Today, there are a few cottages, Spital Hill Farm, and Spital Hall here.