South Bidick, 1848
BIDICK, SOUTH, a township, in the parish of Houghton-le-Spring, union of Chester-le-Street, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 6¾ miles (S.W. by W.) from Sunderland; containing 74 inhabitants. In 1823 the old hall, and some of the lands, were purchased by the Earl of Durham. The township comprises by measurement 343 acres, of which 225 are arable, 73 grass land, 25 wood, and 20 waste. The river Wear winds its very devious course on the west; the Durham Junction railway passes a little to the north-east, and takes a curve to Elba.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.