Sheepwash Township, 1848
SHEEPWASH, or SHIPWASH, with Ashington, a township, in the parish of Bothal, union, and E. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (E.) from Morpeth; containing 76 inhabitants. Shipwash was once a parish of itself, and notice of a rector occurs in the 14th century; the church was dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, and the beautifully-formed basin of its font is still preserved. Connected with the church was an hospital for travellers passing the Wash, to which Bishop Hatfield in 1379 appointed a keeper, the office being at that time vacant. The lands are the property of the Duke of Portland and the rector of Bothal. The scenery is of pleasing character, enriched with plantations, and enlivened by the course of the river Wansbeck, which is navigable for keels and small boats as far as Shipwashbridge, an old structure of four arches. The ancient mansion of the Bulmer family, here, is beautifully situated amidst gardens, orchards, and shrubberies of great luxuriance; and the parsonage-house of the parish, which is within the township, surrounded by the windings of the river, is also a very interesting feature. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Bothal, and valued in the king's books at £3. 17. 1.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.