SETMURTHY, a chapelry, in the parish of Brigham, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (E.N E.) from Cockermouth; containing 181 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises 2579a. 24p., of which about 1690 acres are pasture, 763 arable, and 124 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £54; patrons, the Inhabitants. A rent-charge of £16 has been awarded as a commutation for the impropriate tithes. The chapel, a plain neat edifice, was built by the landed proprietors in 1794; and a school was erected in the following year, for the endowment of which about 60 acres of land were allotted at the inclosure, in 1812.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.