Ryton Woodside (often called just 'Woodside') is a small settlement in the Borough of Gateshead, located along Woodside Lane, which runs between the village of Ryton and Greenside. In the past, Ryton Woodside was a township, which covered a much wider geographical area, within the ancient parish of Ryton.
RYTON-WOODSIDE, a township, in the parish of Ryton, union of Gateshead, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 8¼ miles (W.) from Gateshead; containing 1,059 inhabitants. This place was anciently the property of the Hedworths, since whose possession it has been held by the families of Jenison, Lambton, and Surtees. It is situated about a mile and a half to the south of the village of Ryton, the road from Hexham to Gateshead passing between the two places; and the Winlaton burn flows on the south. The tithes have been commuted for £322. 8. 9., and there is a glebe of about 110 acres. On May 30th, 1826, thirty-seven persons perished here in the Stargate coal-mine, by the explosion of fire-damp.