Rockcliffe Castle Township, 1848
ROCKCLIFF, CASTLE, a township, in the parish of Rockcliff, union of Carlisle, ward and E. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (N.W.) from Carlisle; containing 471 inhabitants. The river Eden is here crossed by an iron bridge of three arches, on the road to Gretna-Green, three miles distant. Some remains are still visible of a small castle built by the lords Dacre, which was garrisoned by Leonard Dacre, when in rebellion against Elizabeth, in 1570, and was taken by Lord Hunsdon for the queen.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.