Grainger Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

  • Description

    "Taken in August 1969, this photo shows Grainger Street looking South from the top of Grey's Monument. It was named after Richard Grainger who was a builder and developer of classical streets in the City Centre between 1824 and 1841. Four buses operated by Newcastle Corporation Transport can be seen, the one in front being a Leyland Panther single-decker with Alexander bodywork. Trolleybuses with overhead wiring used to run along this street until the system closed on the 1st October 1966. However, this section of Grainger Street is now a pedestrian zone." Photo by David Hillas, 1969.
  • Owner

    David Hillas
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2829031
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 413 times
    Picture Taken: 1969-08-16
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES