Description"Prior to the Norman invasion of 1066, Millom was owned by Tostig Godwinson. He was formerly the Earl of Northumbria but had been overthrown and he then rebelled against his brother, Harold II. Tostig was killed at the Battle of Stamford Bridge (1066) and his lands had not been re-allocated before the Anglo-Saxon regime fell following the defeat at the Battle of Hastings (1066). Thereafter it was taken into Crown ownership and was still held by the King at the time of the Domesday Book (1086). Millom then disappears from the historical record until 1134 when a charter stated it was owned by Godard de Boyvill. It passed through marriage to the Hudleston family in 1240...."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: http://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/north_west/millom_castle.html
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Edmund Anon
Last modified: 1 year, 6 months ago
Viewed: 109 times
Picture Taken: Unknown