CHURCH OF ST MARY - Ulverston - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. C16 with re-used C12 south doorway. Restored and enlarged 1804. Extensively restored and partly rebuilt 1864-6 by Paley. Chancel extended 1903-4 by Austin and Paley, who also re-furnished the east end of the south aisle in 1923 as the War Memorial Chapel. Sandstone and limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings and slate roofs.....The 7-bay arcades date from 1804 and are plastered, with pointed chamfered arches springing from octagonal columns with moulded caps....the numerous memorials include a tomb chest in the north aisle (formerly in the south chapel) with the carved effigy of William Sandys of Conishead Priory (d.1559). At the west end of the south aisle there is a canopied mural monument to Miles Dodding (d.1629) with a small recumbent figure and a Latin inscription...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1374977
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 213 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES