Description"Hagg Bank Bridge (known locally as The Points Bridge) is an early example of an arch suspension bridge. When it was built in 1876 by the Scotswood, Newburn & Wylam Railway Company its design (by W.G. Laws, later City Engineer of Newcastle) was ahead of its time, but paved the way for the Newcastle Tyne Bridge (1928)and Sydney Harbour Bridge (1932). The bridge allowed trains to cross the river from North Wylam Station to join the Newcastle to Carlisle line at the West Wylam Junction. The bridge has a single span of 240 feet (73 metres), is made of wrought iron, cast by Hawks, Crawshay & Co. of Gateshead. It used to carry a double railway line but was closed on March 11th 1968 and the rails lifted in 1972. Bridges on the Tyne: http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/wylamrly.html" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2740247
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 4 months ago
Viewed: 91 times
Picture Taken: 2011-12-25