The Old Shambles

  • Description

    "View towards the end of a lane (or yard) off Highgate, which starts beside Ye Olde Fleece Inn (photo ). The Old Shambles was built in 1779 to house the town's butchers. Animals were slaughtered in the street but the site was badly drained, so must have been quite unpleasant even by the standards of the day. After only 25 years the butchers moved to the 'New Shambles' in the Market Place. The butchers' shops have since been converted to dwellings. The taller building at the head of the yard was originally The Butcher's Arms pub, which was later used as a dye factory and a warehouse. Today it appears to be in residential use. It is a listed building . Historical information from walk booklet by Kendal Civic Society." Photo by Rose and Trev Clough, 2016.
  • Owner

    Rose and Trev Clough
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 4 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 556 times
    Picture Taken: 2016-04-19
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.