Description"This Cistercian abbey was founded by monks from Melrose Abbey in 1150. Although its proximity to the Scottish border made it vulnerable to raids, it appears to have been a prosperous place in the early years of its existence, with benefactors from both sides of the Solway conferring gifts of land, fisheries and even a quarry. Large tracts of marshland around the Solway Firth were made suitable for grazing by the efforts of the monks. However, following a devastating raid by Robert the Bruce in 1319 the fortunes of the abbey changed and it struggled on until its dissolution in 1538, despite receiving alms for its repair from the Pope in the 15th century. Following the dissolution, the abbey church was allowed to continue to serve as the village's parish church and as a refuge and defence against the Scots. Nevertheless, the building, which was too large for local needs, began to deteriorate and in 1600 the great tower fell. In the 18th century the size of the church was significantly reduced as part of a restoration project; there was further work done in the 19th and 20th centuries. The building continues to serve as the parish church of St Mary despite damage done by a fire in 2006." Photo by Stephen McKay, 2014.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4210407
Resource type: Image
Added by: Edmund Anon
Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 126 times
Picture Taken: 2014-10-02