NAWORTH CASTLE - List Entry

  • Description

    "Castle and seat of the Earls of Carlisle. Probably late C13, first mentioned in 1323 (V.C.H. Cumberland p.255), licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602 (date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844. Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney stacks. Formerly: tower house (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all altered c1520 and 1602...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1087643
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 73 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES