Description"St.Kentigern came to our area having been driven out of Glasgow by a pagan prince, and set up his cross in a clearing or ‘Thwaite’, in 553AD. Hence the name “Crosthwaite”. Nothing remains of the earliest church buildings, but small portions of the stone church of 1180 survive.The present building is dated 1523 and was extensively restored in 1844, by the architect Gilbert Scott, who designed the roof timbers, pews and some of the screen work now existing.http://www.crosthwaitechurchkeswick.co.uk/history.html" Photo by Richard Rogerson, 2015.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4363185
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years ago
Viewed: 243 times
Picture Taken: 2015-01-20