HAWKSHEAD GRAMMAR SCHOOL - List Entry

  • Description

    "School, now museum. 1675, entrance rebuilt 1888, windows 1891. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. 3:2:2-light ovolo-mullioned windows, those to ground floor with 3-centred heads to lights, and label moulds to 1st floor windows; leaded glazing. Entrance between 1st and 2nd bays has architrave, pulvinated frieze with panel dated 1585... The school was founded by Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York, in 1585, and built by Daniel Rawlinson. in 1675. Its most famous pupil was William Wordsworth, who attended 1778-1787, and whose name is carved on a desk...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1087232
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 172 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES