Description"St Mary’s Church at Ambleside was built between 1850 and 1854 in the Early Gothic style. The architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. It was not as ornate as many Victorian churches, and was one of the first in the North to incorporate ideas from the Oxford Movement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Movement . Unlike many Lakeland churches, it has a spire, and is built of sandstone which was more easily worked than the local slate. It is a grade II* listed building (English Heritage Building ID: 450572 http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-450572-church-of-st-mary-lakes-cumbria#.VlSPTXknyHs British Listed Buildings). http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/ambleside-st-marys-church/ Visit Cumbria" Photo by David Dixon, 2015.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4748891
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 194 times
Picture Taken: 2015-11-20