DescriptionSt Martin's Church was built in 1878 to replace an earlier one on the same site, which had been erected in 1789. Prior to that the Parish Church had been on the site of a Roman fort a mile and a half away to the north west, beside the River Irthing. The present church is a splendid example of the work of the Pre-Raphaelites. This is the only church built by the architect Philip Webb and is adorned by an exquisite set of stained glass windows designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and manufactured by William Morris.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29870830@N03/11027497184/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 10 months ago
Viewed: 242 times
Picture Taken: 2013-09-13T14:26:49