CHURCH OF ST MARY - Abbeytown - List Entry

  • Description

    "Cistercian Abbey now Parish Church. Founded 1150 with early C16 addition and alterations dated 1730; 1884-5 vestry and 1913 restoration; 1973 ambulatory. Large blocks of red sandstone (brought across the Solway from Scotland). Graduated greenslate roof, Welsh slate on porch and vestry. West porch and ambulatory extension; 6-bay nave/chancel, formerly the nave of the Abbey Church (originally of 9 bays) with aisles removed; west twin bellcote and north vestry/organ chamber. 2-storey porch has round arch with Latin inscription to Robert Chambers, Abbot 1507 and his coat of arms. Upper floor rebuilt to form vestry, dated 1730 with Latin inscription...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1144608
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 100 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES