Pill Box -- near Mitford Castle

  • Description

    This Second World War pillbox is located near Mitford Castle, 718m south-west of Mitford Bridge. It was built by the Northern Command as part of the River Wansbeck Stop Line constructed between 1940 and 1941. This is one of four surviving pillboxes in the area which were constructed to the same design for the Stop Line. They are built with reinforced concrete, hexagonal in shape, with two longer sides, with a single door protected by a porch, and nine gun-slits. https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/pill-box-near-mitford-castle/" rel="nofollow">co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/pill-box-near-mitford-castle/
  • Owner

    Simon_Cotterill
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Public Domain Dedication (CC0)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137828720@N06/43883773232/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 146 times
    Picture Taken: 2018-08-08T12:25:36
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES