CHURCH OF ST EDMUND - Edmondbyers - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church; C12 and later, restored c.1859. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; east wall thin courses of squared stone; quoins. Stone-flagged roof with stone gable copings. 4-bay nave with south porch; 3-bay chancel with north organ chamber and vestry.....south aisle memorial to William Featherstonhaugh, Rector 1856- 1904, by C.J. Baguley of Newcastle. Acorn and oak-leaf poppyhead bench ends. Wood vestry in west end is C20 construction, as memorial to members of Marjoribanks family, using C17 elements, door from Shepherds Dene House, Riding Mill; priest's pew from Auckland Castle; organ case from All Saints, Clifton; fragments from Durham Castle and Cathedral...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1229331
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 74 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES