The Old School House, Whalton Road, Belsay (Belsay)

  • Description

    "This used to be the school and schoolmaster's house for Belsay, largely owned and designed by Sir Charles Monck of the nearby Belsay Hall. The building is constructed of fine ashlar, beneath Welsh slate roofs - these materials are favoured within the main village. Like many of the houses in the village this has an arcade front - a throwback to the Classical remains of Ancient Greece and Rome seen by Monck on his honeymoon. There are two possible dates for the school; either 1841 or 1829. Either way this was later replaced by the larger Belsay County First School later in the 19th century...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N21058
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 200 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES