Tyne and Wear HER(4529): South Shields, Mill Dam, Customs House

  • Description

    "This building of 1863-64, by T.H. Clemence, architect (borough engineer) was originally the Customs House built just before South Shields was declared a separate customs port in 1865. The addition of 1878 was built to house the offices of the local Marine Board. It consists of an open arcade on coupled rusticated piers with three large depressed arches. Above are three bays divided by coupled Corinthian half columns...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/4529
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year ago
    Viewed: 111 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES