THE FORMER MERCANTILE MARINE OFFICES - South Shields - List Entry

  • Description

    "1863-64. T M Clemence architect and borough surveyor. 1878 addition at rear. J H Morton architect. White bricks and ashlar. Two storeys, 3 bays square. An imposing public building in the Renaissance style.....The coats of arms in the pediment are by Thos William Rowe, sculptor. This was originally the Customs House built just before South Shields was declared a separate customs port in 1865. The addition of 1878 was built to house the offices of the local Marine Board...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1232273
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 213 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES