Tranwell shrunken medieval village (Mitford)

  • Description

    "Tranwell was part of the lordship of Merlay in the medieval period. According to a document written in 1312, ten taxpayers lived there at this time. By 1603 the township had split into two holdings, Tranwell House and Tranwell Moor Farms. Five cottages existed in the vicinity of Tranwell House in 1603. Tranwell is described by archaeologists as a shrunken medieval village."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N11289
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 154 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES