Tyne and Wear HER(740): Billy Mill

  • Description

    "The earliest reference to the mill is a grant by Henry Faukes to Tynemouth Priory in 1320 when it was called Billing's Mill. With the other possessions of the priory it was leased after the suppression to Sir Thomas Hilton when it appeared as "Belle Mylne", in the tenure of John Salter and Alexander Dyxon. It was rebuilt in 1597-99 with timber from up the Tyne and mill-stones from Barnard Castle. In the 17th century it was conveyed to the earl of Northumberland. In spite of quarrying close by in 1658 the mill survived to be rebuilt in stone in 1760, though it was once again in ruins by the early 20th century...."
  • Owner

  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/740
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 5 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 561 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.