Tyne and Wear HER(3898): Birtley, Bowes Railway, Black Fell Engine House

  • Description

    "An engine house on the Pontop and Jarrow Railway (Bowes). The original engine was provided by Thomas Murray of Chester-le-Street in an engine house built around 1840, following the decision to extend the railway to Kibblesworth Colliery. In 1853 the track was doubled to increase coal production and improve capacity. The machinery in the hauler house was expanded with a second cylinder and rope. The rope went out of the back of the building and around a large vertical return wheel 20m to the east. The rope returned underground to the far side of the kip where it was attached to the loaded wagons......The Murray engine was replaced by a new one by Robey & Co. in 1913 and a new hauler house was built....."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/3898
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 82 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES