Description"The three mile long Alnmouth to Alnwick branch railway was authorised by Act of Parliament granted to the Newcastle & Berwick Railway on 31st July, 1845. Construction didn't start however until the company has completed its main line between Gateshead and Berwick and the branch was eventually opened on the 5th August 1850. The original station was on the outskirts of Alnwick adjacent to Shilbottle Coal Company depot but this quickly proved inadequate and after requests from the town council, the North Eastern Railway eventually agreed to build a new station closer to the town centre which opened on 5th September, 1887; a branch line from Alnwick to Cornhill was opened on the same day. The Alnwick branch was well used with 60 trains a day...."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/alnwick/
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 159 times
Picture Taken: Unknown