Description"When the North Eastern Railway decided in 1885 to replace their rather modest station at Alnwick they did so on a grand scale - the new building incorporating two roof arches. Such generous provision was unusual for what was only ever a country branch terminus (although there were at one time two lines that converged here), and it is believed that this owed much to the influence of the Duke of Northumberland whose seat at Alnwick Castle is nearby. The last train departed from here in January 1968 and since then Alnwick people have had to make their own way to Alnmouth to catch a train. Happily the station building survives largely intact and this end is used by an agricultural machinery dealer. See [] for a view a few years prior to closure." Photo by Stephen McKay, 2015.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4429658
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 171 times
Picture Taken: 2015-04-07