Description"A garden folly once part of the Marton Hall estate built by Teesside industrialist Henry Bolckow in 1858. In 1878 the estate passed to Bolckow's nephew Carl who managed to continue to lead an extravagant lifestyle despite the boom years of the iron industry being over. By 1907 the hall was empty, all fixtures being sold to pay off his debts. Apart from the billeting of troops during WW1 it was never lived in again. The estate was brought in 1925 by Thomas J Stewart who presented it to Middlesbrough as a park. The hall itself destroyed by fire in 1960. A few stoneworks remain." Photo by Mick Garratt, 2008.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/967541
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 301 times
Picture Taken: 2008-09-17