Description"This granite urn was erected by Henry Bolckow, the wealthiest and most powerful local ironmaster, to mark the spot where Capt. James Cook was born in the old village of Marton. Henry Bolckow had decided to build his new house on this site and promptly relocated the villagers into new houses built on Marton Road 500m to the south west http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/55056. The Bolckows moved into their new mansion, Marton Hall, in 1858. In 1878 the estate passed to Bolckow's nephew Carl who managed to continue to lead an extravagant lifestyle despite the boom years of the iron industry being over. By 1907 the hall was empty, all fixtures being sold to pay off his debts. Apart from the billeting of troops during WW1 it was never lived in again. The estate was brought in 1925 by Thomas J Stewart who presented it to Middlesbrough as a park. In 1960 a fire broke out and the hall was reduced to ashes. The steps and stonework in the photo are all that remains." Photo by Mick Garratt, 2005.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/55051
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 314 times
Picture Taken: 2005-09-17